Support Worker - BSL
Relief with potential for permanent contract
British Sign Language Level 1 – completed or willing to obtain
Start your day knowing you’ll make a difference!
In the Kenton area of Newcastle, we will soon be supporting a gentleman who is deaf and uses British Sign Language to communicate. It’s important to him that you have completed or would be willing to complete your Level 1 in BSL.
We are looking for calm, patient and resilient Support Workers who will take the time to get to know this gentleman and will be able take a calm and consistent approach towards motivating him to engage in the activities he likes and enjoy. You can expect to support this gentleman with a range of daily living tasks which can involve personal care, laundry, meal preparation and medication administration.
In this role you will experience behaviours that others may find challenging. With the knowledge and support of the existing team, as well as the appropriate training, you will learn how best to respond to these situations confidently.
Shifts may vary depending on this gentleman’s changing needs but are likely to start at 9am one day until 9am the following day with a sleep over shift from 11pm – 7am included. There are also day shifts, weekends and your share of the bank holidays. We have a dedicated waking nights team so this shift won’t be a regular part of your rota but you will need to be open to covering on the odd occasion, should this be required.
The pay rate for this position is higher than our other services due to the complexity of the needs of the person you're supporting. You will be paid £10.57 per hour which is inclusive of your accrued annual leave.
We recruit based on values so whilst previous experience is always welcome, it’s certainly not essential. Full training and support is provided to enable you to succeed in your role and complete the necessary relevant qualifications.
If you have any further questions or would like to discuss the role in more detail, please call Paul Dix on 07939 570 531.
To see how you will be rewarded for your hard work and commitment, please see the attached job description which details the full list of employee benefits.
Dimensions is proud to be one of very few social care organisations that are members of the Great Places to Work programme 2019 & 2020.
You can find out more about the role and Dimensions via the attached job description and person specification.
- An enhanced DBS disclosure will be required for this role, the cost of which will be incurred by Dimensions.
- We welcome applications from everyone and value diversity in our workforce
- As disability confident leaders, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy - Dimensions has been awarded this symbol by Jobcentre Plus to recognise our commitment towards the employment, retention, training and career development of disabled employees
- As part of our commitment to making reasonable adjustments we can offer support to complete your application in one of our offices using assistive technology.
- We now have British Sign Language (BSL) translated videos for all of our recruitment communications.
In response to the unprecedented events we are currently experiencing due to the spread of Coronavirus COVID-19, at this time we will be conducting our interviews via video calls.
- Support Worker